Friday 6 April 2012

Chinese Stereotypes Tag

Hello everyone. For today's post, I was completely stumped (again) for what to write about, so I went onto Youtube to find a tag to do. Low and behold, I came across the "Chinese Tag Game" and thought it would be perfect to do in the form of a blog post!
I'm sorry that the panda looks slightly deformed.
  • Do you have pressure to get straight As at school?
    • Yes, of course. Unlike the Chinese stereotype, this pressure is mostly from myself rather than from my rents- sometimes I don't even show my parents my reports or exam results, unless I want to flaunt it in their faces when I get annoyed. But I suppose my inner pressure is from my parenting and upbringing to always achieve, so yes, I have pressure to get straight As.
  • What part of China are you from? 
    • I was born in this country, but both my parents are from the north-east of China. My dad is from Heilongjiang and my mum is from Jilin. However, my mum did spend most of her childhood in Sichuan, Chengdu, and our ancestry does go back quite far there, so I don't really know what she'd count herself as. I suppose I'll say the north-east, but I only have one relative left living there.
From the head of the chicken.
  • Do you fit into the Chinese stereotype?
    • No:
      • "East Asian women have been portrayed as aggressive or opportunistic sexual beings or predatory gold diggers using their feminine wiles."
        1. Okay this came up when I typed Chinese stereotypes into wiki, and that definitely doesn't apply for me...
      • I am not a master of martial arts, although I wish I were!
      • I hate K-pop, J-pop, XYZ-pop...
      • I don't wear glasses.
    • Yes:
      • I am very short.
      • My eyes are squinty - but that's not a stereotype, that's a fact.
      • I do like maths.
      • I have eaten dog before. 
        • This was when I went to Changbaishan mountains on holiday once when I was 7 or something. It was by the China and North Korea border, and the local delicacy was dog meat. At this time I was very young and I didn't really know what was going on, so I just ate it! Before you guys freak out and call RSPCA, very few people in China still eat dog meat - this restaurant was pretty much purely for tourists, so that they can "experience" the entire authentic culture. In their culture, dog is seen as a type of meat rather than a pet, just as pork and beef is in our culture, so I don't think we should judge and discriminate, simply because it is a cultural difference. (Before you guys all run off and tell everyone that ALL Chinese people eat dog, this is NOT true, as it was literally only a small ethnic minority that eat it - in fact most Chinese people are against it as I discovered when most of the rest of our tour group refused to eat it. It's only when the line between livestock and pets starts to blur, that is when we should start to be worried.)
      • I like to save.
        • Yes this is true. Us Chinese are love saving. Why? Since China is such a vast country (it is 37x the size of the UK and houses 1/5 of the world's population), so having a "nanny" state is simply not an option. That is why the Chinese always have vast savings, in case if one day disaster strikes, there is no safety net of a government that can afford to give out endless benefits, like in this country. Saving is just part of the culture. 
      • I am a bad driver. 
        • Well, I technically don't know this yet, but I can't imagine myself being very good at driving.
      • I play a musical instrument. 
        • You should see my orchestra, about 50% of the 1st violins are Chinese. 
      • I had a bowl cut.
        • Oh yeah, rocking the mushroom hair!
Teheh, it's me... oh dear!
  • Rice or chao mein?
    • Hmm, I don't like this question as it assumes that all Chinese people eat rice or fried noodles, which isn't true. There is a north/south split within the country though. Northerners have wheat as their main food source, since conditions are drier and colder. It isn't as humid and hot as the south, where conditions are perfect for growing rice. Since I could be seen as a "northerner", noodles would be the logical choice. However, the dominance and importance of rice in China is so significant, to the extent of the character for "cooked rice" (饭) is also means "food" in general. This is just like how the character for "home" () also means "family". It's quite interesting learning about how characters are derived. Anyway, I would go for rice.
  • Does your future partner have to be Chinese too?
    • I suppose I haven't thought that far into the future, but I suppose there is no pressure for this to be the case.
  • Do you speak Chinese? Say something. 
    • Ah, this is where I encounter a problem with having this as a blog post instead of a Youtube video. So instead I think I might type something for you guys who speak Chinese, or have the initiative to copy this into Google Translate.  
大家好! 如果你读不懂我写的中文, 你就是一只臭猪. 
但是, 如果你能了解这两话,爱你. 
    • Ahaha, even though my Chinese is not that great, I can even tell what I just wrote is written so terribly. Sorry guys who are fluent Chinese speakers for my poor linguistic skills.   
I tag all my Chinese friends who have blogs to do this tag! (Just realised all my friends who have blogs are Chinese...)
  1. Yingcen
  2. Kevin
  3. Wendy
  4. Natalie 
  5. Andy
  6. David
  7. And whoever wants to do it!
That is all,


Rebecca x
P.S. Check out the new tabs I made for my pages under my header! I have sorted everything out into 3 categories: Style (fashion, hair etc), Music and Life.
P.P.S I realise that this post is a day late! I'm trying to no break my BEDIE (Blog Every Day In Easter), but it's hard. I will write another post tonight to compensate, so look out for that.

2 comments:

  1. This is really good ^-^!
    'ni ai ni'... you love yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers wendy! And wooops, that was by accident! changed it now! :)

      Delete

Go on then, what are you waiting for? Type a comment. I know you want to... ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...